The purpose of journalism isn’t placating people on Twitter so advertisers can sell them a product.
“If you don’t read the news, you’re uninformed, but if you do read the news you are misinformed.” — Mark Twain
In the age of technology in modern America, it may feel like there are limitless options for news, entertainment and media.
However, a very small handful of media conglomerates have control over 90% of the “unlimited” media we consume on a daily basis.
These media giants were long known as the “Big Six”. But since Disney bought 21st Century Fox, only five big media conglomerates remain to dominate news and media: Disney, TimeWarner, NewsCorp, National Amusements and Comcast.
The Big Five
- Disney Inc. is the parent company of ABC, Disney Channel, The History Channel, ESPN, MIRAMAX, Pixar, Lucas-films, Marvel Studios, A&E, Lifetime, Dreamworks, and 21st Century Fox, which includes 20th Century Fox movie and television studios, Fox News Channel, Fox Sports, FX, National Geographic and the Fox broadcast network.
- National Amusements Inc. is the parent company of ViacomCBS, which includes Paramount Communications, BET, Comedy Central, MTV Networks, Nickelodeon, VH1, Blockbuster Video, Simon & Schuster, Showtime Networks, Inc., and other major entertainment properties.
- Comcast Corporation owns NBC Universal, CNBC, MSNBC, Telemundo, USA Network, Bravo, Hulu, SNL Studios, Universal Studios theme parks.
- NewsCorp is the parent company for Fox, Fox Sports, FX Networks, The Wall Street Journal, The Daily News, the New York Post, National Geographic, GQ, the HarperCollins book publishing house, etc.
- Time Warner is the parent company or CNN, HBO, TBC, TNT, Warner Bros, Cartoon Network, Cinemax, etc.
There are a few major news organizations which are not owned by these big conglomerates: The New York Times, The Washington Post. The Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times are both owned by the Tribune Company. Hearst Publications also owns 12 newspapers including the San Francisco Chronicle, as well as magazines, television stations and cable and other…